Monday, April 11, 2011

Mamak Mee Goreng



I still have a lot of the special noodles from Sg. Lembing, given to us by hubby's colleague. This is supposed to be the yellow noodles which chinese love to consume but 3 things set apart  this noodle (from Sg. Lembing) from the normal yellow noodle you purchase in hypermart :  (a) this noodles has considerably less amount of lye water in it (in Cantonese we call it kan soi), (b) this yellow noodle is not fat and round but it's thinner and flatter (something like linguine) and (c) other than the usual floor and stuffs used to make noodles, they claim to be using 100% pure mountain water as well, thus making the noodle tastier.  Both hubby and I will never order any yellow noodles when we eat out in hawker stall. With this Sg Lembing noodles, I am able to try out certain dishes which require nothing else but yellow noodles. In this instance, it's Mamak Mee Goreng.

I ran upstairs and frantically flipped through my recipe book and found the recipe I was looking for. To my surprise, the sauces were pretty much the same that I've used in my recent attempt of Ramen in a Jiffy. The steps to making this dish is rather simple. I didn't have any meat with me but that was fine because I had enough vege base ingredients on hand. Here's the recipe, adapted from Agnes Chang.


Ingredients :
500g fresh yellow noodles
120g mutton, thinly sliced (I omitted this)
1 tsp light soya sauce
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
dash of pepper

4 tbsp oil
1 bombay onion, sliced thinly
4 stalks sawi, cleaned and cut into 3cm length (I substituted with cabbage)
3 pieces fried beancurd, diced
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp chilli sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
** I added 4 tbsp hot water
dash of pepper (I omitted this)
2 eggs (I omitted this)
3 green chillis, sliced
3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
**I added shitake mushrooms, carrot and fish cake, chopped garlic


Method :
1. Season mutton with soya sauces and pepper. Fry fish cake and set aside. Slice it when cool.

2. Heat oil and stir fry sliced onion till fragrant. Add in the mutton and fry till it changes color (if you have mutton)

3. Add cabbage and fry till slightly soft before adding in the tomatoes, carrot, diced beancurd and slice fish cake. Dish out and set aside.

4. Heat up oil, fry some chopped garlic. Add in sliced mushrooms. Fry till soft and set aside (Omit this step if you are using mushrooms).

5. With the mushrooms still in the wok, add back the vege based ingredients which you have fried earlier. Stir a while before adding in the yellow noodles. Pour the prepared sauces in.

6. If you have eggs, break in eggs and stir quickly to mix with teh noodles. Add in green chillies and mix well.
7. Dish out and serve. You may garnish it with fried shallots, green and red chillis and lime.



No comments: