Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ramen in a Jiffy



It's Sunday night and it's also one of those rare days I'm having dinner at home instead of somewhere else. For the past 2 weekends, the chinese were scrambling to the cemetery grounds for tomb sweeping, a festival we called Qing Ming. We got up pretty early for this and by the time I got home, it was almost 3pm! Since everyone was exhausted from the morning event, we decided to eat our dinners separately. I was trying to take an afternoon nap but of course that didn't materialize, much to my chagrin. Instead of wasting time by lying on the bed and gazing at the ceiling, I jumped out from bed and went straight to my kitchen. I started taking out a zucchini which I bought it because it was an 'on sale' item ( at RM2), a carrot, a packet of shitake mushroom. Obviously zucchini is normally used for a western dish while shitake mushroom is best cook in the asian or chinese way. I went against all odds and decided to mix the 2 instead to fry a ramen noodle.  What came to my mind was this looks like an East Meets West kind of dish.  Well besides using this 2 ingredients for my dish, I became adventurous and came up with a special sauce : a mixture tomato ketchup, chili sauce, chinese oyster sauce and soy sauce.  The verdict? You try it out and tell. All I can say is hubby ate quite plentiful. It tasted even better when I ate it the next day but I fried it again with an egg.

Ingredients :
1 zucchini - slice
1/2 packet of shitake mushroom - thinly slice
1 carrot - shred
7 cloves garlic - chop
3 shallots - slice
Organic ramen

Seasoning :
tomato ketchup
chili sauce
oyster sauce
soy sauce
pinch of salt
chili flakes (optional)

Method :
1. Heat up oil in wo and saute garlic and shallot till fragrant. Add in the zucchini.
2. Stir for about 2 minutes before adding in the shitake mushrooms. Saute till mushrooms turn soft and water seeping out from it.
3. Add in the shreded carrot and stir fry for a minute before adding in the ramen.
4. Stir the sauce and add in little by little. Taste and add more of whichever sauces to your own preference.
5. Dish out and serve hot.


No comments: