I had wanted to try my hands out on one of Jamie Oliver’s roast chicken recipe and I finally got around to do it. I trust Jamie’s recipe will be good enough but again I did the unthinkable which is to modify it by adding additional spices and ingredients that I favored. I shared the chicken dish with 2 of my colleauges but of course, this dish was done in the first place with hubby in mind. One hell of a lucky man, he is. Here’s the recipe and I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.
• 4 chicken thighs, whole leg
• sea salt and ground black pepper
• 10 mid size potatoes, peeled
• 1 lemon, quartered
• 1 whole bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
• some fresh thyme
• olive oil
• some fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
• roasted garlic powder and onion powder
• red and green capsicum
• 1 large onion, cut into rings
• 2 carrots, cut cubes
• 8 tomatoes, halved
• optional: 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
1. Rub chicken with a generous amount of salt , black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and rosemary one day earlier.
2. Preheat oven to 190C for 15 mins.
3. Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Cut potatoes into golf-ball-sized and put them into boiling water together with cloves of garlic and lemon. Cook for about 12 mins or so.
4. Heat pan with some olive oil in it. Drain potatoes, lemon and garlic and toss them in the pan . Saute them till golden brown. Remove and set aside.
5. Turn the halved tomatoes faced down on the pan and let it grill till slightly brown. Set aside.
6. Meanwhile, turn the tray of chicken into the preheated oven and roast for 40 mins.
7. When timer is left with 20 mins, remove tray from oven to toss in the carrot, potatoes, lemon, garlic cloves, tomatoes and capsicum into the tray. Spread it evenly and do not let it cover the chicken so that the chicken will turn golden brown under the heat. If using bacon, lay the bacon on the vegetable spread.
8. Turn the tray back into the oven and let it roast till timer ends.
The aromatic smell of roasted chicken filled the entire kitchen in no time. Hope you have a great time digging into the juicy meat.