I was inspired to try this out after having sampling this dish made by hubby's eldest sister. I realized that I missed out a very crucial ingredient when I was halfway frying it because the filling doesn't seem to stick well to the vegetable. The culprilt is mackerel (ikan tenggiri). We just had to make do without it then. Can you believe I was actually being shooed out of the kitchen by hubby because he insisted that he knew better how to make the sauce than me? This dish turned out great. We both love bitter gourd and the simple marination of the meat seemed to go well with the vegetable. The sauce... well... what can I say? It was awesome. This dish goes well with white rice or you can even eat it on its own. We ate it with steam white rice topped with a juicy piece of ayam goreng berempah. l'll rate this as an easy and fast dish to whip out. In case you're interested, here's the recipe. Enjoy!
Filling & Marination :
Bean paste (taucu)
Dash of salt
Sesame oil (optional)
Other Ingredient :
Bitter gourd (of course!!)
Small onions - slice
- Marinate the filling with the sauces mentioned. Set it aside.
- Cut bitter gourd to about 1 or 1.5cm thick. Remove seeds and white pulp with a spoon.
- Stuff the a generous portion of filling into the centre of bitter gourd. Pat around it.
- Heat wok with little oil. Fry the bitter gourd in low fire.When it is cooked, dish out and set aside.
- Heat wok with little oil and fry onions in slow fire till slight golden brown. Scoop in sone bean paste, stir it a while before adding water and remaining sauce ingredients except cornstarch.
- Bring to simmer. Add in the bitter gourd, stir around and lastly add in the cornstarch.