Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chai Tau Kueh II (Fried Carrot Cake)

During mom's recent stay at my place, she made quite a number of delicacies. One of them was my all time favorite Chai Tau Kueh. We actually bought radish and the rice flour and mom made the carrot cake from scratch. For the first time, she used my i-chef steamer pot to steam the cake and thereafter, she gave 2 thumbs up for this pot of mine. Money well spent, I supposed. I tried getting the recipe from mom but unfortunately for her, everything is 'agak-agak' (estimate). She bought a medium size radish and that should go with 1 packet of rice flour. The previous rounds that she made in KL, we all detected a weird note and that weird taste actually came from the four. It seems that any kueh that is made with rice flour tends to have this strange taste. So this time, we bought the rice flour in Singapore and true enough, the weird awful smell did not appear in our carrot cake. Mom fried it the way I like it too : crips at all sides and cake is not largely cut.

3 comments:

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Making me drool.....a lot...

Rachel n Chong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel n Chong said...

yep...thanks to my mom :)