Monday, April 5, 2010

Bittergourd Bihun Soup

Yes, I cooked tonight and yes again, I took a day off from work. I had such a relaxing day today BUT not entirely stress free because : (1) I did gardening early in the morning and my nostrils detected cat’s poo but I just couldn’t locate where the poo is ; (2) again my internet line failed me. I took off to Midvalley, watched a movie, had coffee in a wifi cafĂ©, then shopped for tonight’s homecook dinner : Bittergourd Bihun Soup. I hardly order a clear soup dish but I did that over the weekend. It tasted nice and so, I wanna try it out for dinner tonight. The stock was prepared with real anchovies with no added msg or stock cubes. Hubby commented that I've added too much of anchovy in the stock soup, hence a bit salty. Other than that, it was good. Well.. I thought more stock means good stuff…. Anyway, if you’ll like to try out this dish, here’s the recipe. Btw, I am leaving the measurements out. You just estimate it yourself in accordance to your taste and preference. Ingredients : 1. Marinated mince pork (salt, soy sauce and sesame oil) 2. Thin slices of bittergourd 3. Tomatoes, halved or quartered 4. Some wolfberries, soaked 5. Lettuce (I substituted with Xiao Bai Cai) 6. Big anchovies, to boil into stock 7. Some spring onions 8. Shallots 9. Organic Brown Rice Vermicelli (Bihun) – Soak in hot water, then drain Method : 1. Boil anchovies in a pot of water for 20 to 30 mins. Remove anchovies from stock. 2. Heat oil, fry shallots till golden brown and add in the prepared stock. 3. Add in the wolfberries and bitterguord. 4. When soup is about to boil, shape mince pork into ball shape and add it in. When done, stir the soup. 5. Once again when soup boils, add in soften vermicelli, then the lettuce & tomatoes. 6. Stir for 1 – 2 mins and turn off fire. Sprinkle the soup with chopped spring onions and serve it with slices of red chilis.

No comments: