Monday, June 20, 2011

Fern's One Bowl Custard Cake


Firstly, cousin Fern is on a baking streak (always have, I think). Secondly, hubby's ex-classmate, SJ who has never bake in her entire life before, called me up last week and we met up this morning to get her baking supplies. Lastly, my sister in law who hardly bakes, actually made a nice looking chocolate sponge cake. That did it. I told myself I had to bake a cake .... NOW!!! It was an outrageous hour to attempt baking and even a more outrageous hour to gobble up the freshly baked cake at 9.30pm when just an hour ago, I had my dinner.

The preparation time took no more than half an hour. I wish there are more people in the house to help me finish the cake. Hubby was away camping in some godforsaken place, dad put his hands up in total surrender because he was still full with dinner, mom at least gave me face and politely abided with 1 tiny slice and I, well... I had to give moral support to myself, hadn't I? I ate 3 fat slices of the cake. The texture of the cake was fluffy and moist. It was absolutely heavenly to go with a cup of tea my mom made (thanks to cousin Soo for contributing the tea leaves). Thanks to cousin Fern for sharing this wonderful recipe in her blog.

Ingredients :
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
250g butter at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
1 3/4 cups caster sugar ( I reduced to 1 1/2 cup)
4 eggs
3/4 cup custard powder
1 cup milk

Method :

Preheat oven to 175C. Cream butter and sugar with vanilla extract, lemon rind and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined. Add flour, custard powder and milk and beat at very low speed until just combined. Pour into lined 23cm deep square tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Turn onto a cooling rack.

4 comments:

SJ said...

Hi Rachel, with all gadgets and ingredients in hand, you would have thought this would be a no fail mission. But, 1st, my fault of not reading instruction, I have the weighting scale mis-used and got all the weight wrong, 2nd, after getting the mixture done up (sort of), while waiting for my oven to pre-heat to the desired temperature, the whole house tripped, apparently my oven has malfunction... so u see, no luck to bake my 1st cake ...

Rachel n chong said...

It started out bad then but finally, did you have your cake bake? Or you haven't got the chance to prepare the cake batter at all? Have you fix your oven? It's built in oven or stand alone? My God, I hope this will not deter your sudden mood in baking.

SJ said...

Mine is a built in oven. I am getting the technician in to check tomorrow, hopefully nothing serious. I used a stand alone round convection oven to bake the cake, would be surprise if the cake turn out well with all the weight mess up, hehe....

Rachel n Chong said...

I hope by now your oven is working. Better start your 1st baking as soon as you can before your sudden 'fire' starts to sizzle out. Good Luck and remember to show me whatever you bake.