Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bamboo Charcoal Rotiboy

 
I popped over to Ailing's house last Sunday to learn this Rotiboy recipe. The only difference is instead of plain white bun, we made bamboo charcoal buns. My hands got itchy and I wanna try this recipe out on my own so early this morning, I started to make the dough proof since 8am. My faithful Kenwood machine helped to knead the dough for 30 mins. While it was kneading and later proofing, I was doing my work.

 
I let it proof for a long long time because somehow, the dough isn't rising as fast as I had hope. So I just left it there till almost lunch hour before I started to pipe the coffee topping on top. The topping tasted marvelous. The smell of freshly baked bread with coffee aroma wafted through the entire lab but the smell was always most intense  for those who walk pass by our office door.
 
 
LW helped me to piped some buns and since neither of us has patience, we just anyhow piped the topping out without caring much of how it looks like. We just wanna get on and get done with this so that we can have our lunch together at the pantry. That explains the hideous looks of the coffee topping :D



Here's a pix of a better looking finished product.
Good things are meant to be shared and so... here's the recipe :

Ingredients for dough:
Water 300ml
Butter 50g
Sugar 2tbsp
Milk Powder 2 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Bread Flour 350g
Normal Flour 150g
Yeast 2 tsp
Bamboo Charcoal Powder 3 tsp

Ingredients for topping :
Butter (softened) 100g
Egg 1 no.
Icing sugar 50g
Low Protein Flour 100g
2 in 1 Instant Coffee 1 pkt
Coffee Essence 1 tsp
Preparation : mix all into bowl and start to beat till a creamy paste is form. Chill it in fridge for 15 mins before piping onto the buns

Filling : cut butter cube (frozen) - optional

Method :
  1. Put all ingredients of dough into the bread machine pan. Always pout the liquid in before adding the dry ingredients UNLESS stated by your machine manual otherwise.
  2. Once dough is ready, remove from pan and knock the air out. Divide dough into half. Shape them into 20 round balls.
  3. Stuff in one cube of butter into the centre of dough, close it and shape into round balls again. Repeat the same process for others. Let dough proof for another 1 hour.
  4. Preheat oven at 180C. Once the dough have doubled its size, start to pipe out the cream on top of the bun in circular motion. To achieve a nicer look, leave no gap in between each circles.
  5. Bake the buns at 180C for 20 mins.


I was standing there sealing the Rotiboy in the bag to be kept for tomorrow's breakfast. It really comes in handy when you work in an environment where they have all sorts of equipments :D


No comments: