Saturday, April 20, 2013

My 1st scones : looks more like a cookie ...

 
I'm not really into scones but my cousins are and so is my colleague CYSL. She has been asking me to make scones and it so happen that last Sunday, I came across this recipe in my SIL's recipe book. Of course I can't read it since it's all in Chinese but SIL read it out for me and it seems kinda easy and quick recipe. Thanks to Ailing too who last minute translated some for me via watsapp. I said I'm gonna make it for the family next Sunday but before I make a laughing stock of myself, I tried out the recipe during lunch hour yesterday. It was really a fast and easy recipe. Now... I say fast and easy. I didn't say it would be nice and successful :P
 


 It's fun making this during lunch hour instead of early in the morning when I'm usually alone. Those who like baking/cooking will automatically comes into the lab to help/watch me doing it. Those who has zero interest in baking/cooking....well... will just wait for the food to be ready :D

 
Scones tasted okay to others while I'll rate it as absolute failure in terms of presentation. As for taste wise, well... it's still edible. At least I don't have the impulse to send them straight to the garbage bin which I usually do when the food fail in the QC I've set. Scones turned out looking more like a cookie instead. Even the kakak cleaner in office was asking me whether I'm making a 'biskut' ...hahaha... 
 

Scones didn't rise up high and puffy as it should be. One of the contributors could be that the dough I rolled out was not thick enough. Recipe says it should be 2.5cm but I rolled it thinner. I should've follow the recipe rather than do it on my own judgement. I've thrown in raisins and cranberry in the recipe. I've substituted unflavored yoghurt with strawberry flavored yoghurt and opted for salted butter instead.
 
Not sure if you wanna try it out this recipe but in case you wish to and prove the recipe is right while the failure is solely due to my skills, well... here it is :
 
 
Ingredients :
Low protein flour 200g
Baking powder 2tsp
Castor sugar 30g
Salt 2g
Unsalted butter 50g
Egg 1 nos.
Unflavored yoghurt 80g
 
Method :
 
  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and let it processed for 30 seconds until a ball is formed.
  2. Remove dough , floured the working surface and start to roll dough out in a rectangular shape. Shrink wrap it and chill it in fridge for 30 mins.
  3. On the floured surface, roll the dough out again. Fold half from top to centre and fold the bottom half to the centre. Flip the dough to the smooth side and start to roll the dough out again and repeat the folding pattern. (I forgot how many times I need to repeat this. Pls refer to the Chinese recipe attached)
  4. Preheatat oven at 180C for 15 mins. Brush some milk on top of scones before sending them to oven to bake for 12 - 15 mins.
 
Some leftover scones which my colleagues eagerly wanna packed home. Umm..it really taste okay or.. are they just giving me 'face'? :P







 

No comments: