Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Penang Fried Kway Teow (Char Kway Teow)

It was only when I made this dish that I finally threw  in the white towel and face the horror fact that I hate my new wok !!!! Ohhh.. how I despise it. I have been without a wok for more than a month before I finally found this Meyer hard anodized wok at a promotional price. Imagine my eagerness to try out this new wok soonest possible. I thought it would be a great idea to fry a Fried Kway Teow recipe with this new wok but oh, how wrong I was. I don't know the fault really lies with my cooking method or with the wok itself but you can guess I'm putting the blame on the wok because the 2 other dish I've cooked the other day using this same wok, produced the same problems to me. I finally managed to salvage this dish by dishing out the half cooked kway teow and set it aside while I washed the sticky wok. Thereafter, I resumed frying my kway teow with a clean wok and a little olive oil. The taste was satisfying despite all the earlier 'glitch' if you would call it. The recipe was adapted from Agnes Chang but I made a little adjustment :

Ingredients :
600g kway teow
300g beansprouts (taugeh)
300g prawns, shelled
100g chives (kuchai), cut into 11/2" length
2 eggs
2 chinese sausage (lap cheong), slice slanting
2 piece of fish cake (optional)
2 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp pounded chili (with shallots) / or chili boh

Seasoning :
1 tbsp soya sauce,
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
1 tsp salt
a dash of pepper

Method :
1. Heat up 4 tbsp oil in wok and saute chinese sausage over low fire. Dish out and set asie. Next stir fry garlic till light brown. Add pounded chillies and shallots and continue to fry until fragrant.
2. Add prawns and stirf ry until cooked then add in the fish cake.  Add kway teow and stir until well mixed.
3. Add beansprouts, chives and seasoning. Mix well.
4. Push kway teow to one side, add 1 tbsp oil and break in eggs. Spread kway teow on top of eggs and fry well.

You may want to garnish with coriander leaves and red chillies.

No comments: