Monday, October 25, 2010

Steamed Mince Pork with Salted Vegetable (Dong Choy)


This is a dish my mom used to make in Batu Pahat , when I was a young little girl. Until today, whenever I'm in a hawker centre selecting 3 dishes to go with my rice, my hands seem to be automatically reaching out for a chunky piece of this mince pork. The good thing about this dish is it doesn't need a lot of ingredients to prepare. The main ingredient will of course be the salted vegetable which I have washed and drained for 3 times, a little sesame oil, a little soy sauce and some fried shallot. If my memory served correctly, my mom occasionally would add some chopped raw garlic in it but I prefer to remove this  ingredient entirely because the smell and taste of garlic is too overpowering. I knocked off sharp from office on a Wednesday and hurried home to prepare the ingredients for my dinner. I had to get everything done real fast because I was on a 'jogging date' with hubby. Right after the jogging session, I put everything on the steamer pot and steamed them at one go whilst I ran upstairs and had a quick shower. Minutes later, I came down, opened the cover lid and to my surprise, I found the mince pork had shrunk considerably and as a result, it looked like an island submerging in shallow water. This is how it looked like.


I wished I had added more sesame oil. It would've been a great idea to marinate with a little constarch to make the meat slightly tender.

No comments: