Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Peach Upside Down Cake

The need to bake an upside down cake finally caught up with me. The tin of peaches was sitting in my larder for the last 2 months and yesterday, only yesterday, I gingerly searched through the web to see which recipes to pick from. It was by pure chance that I came across this recipe from ICook4Fun. I studied through her recipe and I thought my chances of success should be pretty high. She provided the measurements in cups instead of ounces (I would need to convert to metric for the latter) and her method was rather straight forward, brief and precise.  Afterall, it's my very first attempt on any upside down cake. Without prior preparation the day before, I had to make a trip to Jaya Grocer's to get butter and other necessary ingredients. I thought the batter was not runny enough and added a little extra milk. As a result, I ended up baking the cake longer than the original 50 minutes as suggested. The top was already brown after 30 minutes but the entire cake was still wobbly when I gently shook the tin. That really got me worried because I wouldn't want to waste my entire morning, my energy and my ingredients on a failed baking attempt.  I was in for a very pleasant surprise in the end. The cake turned our beautifully. The texture was so soft and moist. I hope cousin Soo and hubby will enjoy eating it later/tomorrow. As for Devi, she was awarded a slice a while ago and I hope she likes it as much as I do.


Ingredients for topping:
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp brown sugar  * (I used molasses & reduced to 2 tbsp)
3 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced * (I used tin peaches)

Ingredients for the cake:
113g of butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp of milk* (I added 4tbsp)
1 tsp of orange zest

Method:
1. Line and greased an 8” round pan. Prepare the topping. Melt the butter and brown sugar. Pour it to the base of baking pan. Arrange the peach slices in a circle over the base. Set it aside.


2. Pre-heat the oven to 170 celcius. Cream butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the egg one at a time until well combined.

3. Add in vanilla and orange zest. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Slow down the mixer and slowly add in the flour alternately with the 2 tbsp of milk (in which I used 4 tbsp). Mix until combined.

4. Spread the batter over the peaches and bake the cake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes before inverting it to a serving plate.

No comments: