Friday, December 31, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

It has been quite a while since I last cook this dish. I used to ask my mom made it for me during my younger days and to this day, it remains as one of my favorite dish. My mom usually did the pork in chunky style; the same as those you see if you order from any 'tai chau' place. As for me, I prefer to mince the meat and roll it into balls; the way most kids like it. I guess there will always be a 'kiddy' part in me. By right, you normally will not find a lot of gravy in this dish to go with your rice.  However since both hubby and I like to soak our rice with the appetizing sweet and sour gravy, I deliberately added more water to this recipe. But of course, I gotta increase the amount of ketchup as well.

Here's how I did the dish. The measurement has been left out.  You'll just have to estimate how sour, how sweet and how salty you want this dish to be.

Ingredients :
mince pork - marinated with sesame oil, soy sauce, salt , a little pepper and a little cornstarch

vegetables:
green capsicum - long strips
red capsicum - long strips
yellow capsicum - long strips
cucumber - squared
tomatoes - quatered
red chili - cut into an inch

pineapple - cut into small pieces
big onions - quatered
sugar
tomato ketchup
a little white vinegar
a little worcestershire sauce (optional)
cornstarch

Method:
1. Roll meat into balls and deep fried it till golden brown. Dish out and set aside.
2. Heat up oil, add in the onions. Stir fry for a while and add in all the vegetables.
3. Fry for a minute or two  then add in the pineapples. Pour in the ketchup, vinegar and worcestershire sauce. Add  in the sugar and taste to your preference.
4. Lastly, stir in the cornstarch to thicken the gravy a little.

No comments: